Countdown to Change.. Day 22

Alrighty now, I am sure tons of people have seen John McCain defend Barack Obama after a woman said "he’s an Arab.” Now if that isn’t absolutely ignorant of her to say, I don’t know what is. First of all, Obama's father was Muslim, not OBAMA! I don’t know how many times I can say or write about that. And HE IS NOT ARABIAN! ARE YOU SERIOUS? That’s crazy! He doesn’t even look Arabian. It just burns me to my core that people are looking at Obama as a skin color, instead what comes out of his mouth!! To be honest, it almost, just almost, drives me to want to become violent and back hand some sense into a few people.
I do commend McCain for stopping that mess in its tracks. In that moment, he did show Maverick like characteristics by going against his own supporters at his own rally. I just don’t know what is going on with people, like are they not listening to Obama's message? All they see is the color of his skin. This to me is not surprising at all, in the least bit. I have faced forms of prejudices before, and I guess if you have never been in that type of situation then you wouldn’t understand how it feels to be discriminated against because of something that you have no control over. However, some American still show their ignorance with flat out stupid and idiotic comments. People like that will be the demise of this country if they don’t get out of their own minuscule and limited mind frames, and into a more modern and reformed frame of mind.
This type of behavior is exactly what Obama has been talking about that needs to change. Along with the current state of the economy, healthcare, education, and the war, Obama wants to change the fact that despite the day and age that we live in today, 2008, people still hold prejudices towards each other as if you lived in the 1950’s or 60’s. He challenges people to look beyond stereotypes, beyond color, religion, and social class and start looking at a person as someone who bleeds the same blood as they do.
I will continue to remain optimistic about the success of Barack Obama’s race to the Presidency. My greatest wish would be the same as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. which is, that people be judged on the content of their character and not the color of their skin, and while American and the world have made vast efforts at striving for that, we still have a long way to go people, a long way. I am not saying that Barack Obama will guarantee that will happen while he is in office, but just as Dr. King created a path for equality, that opened the doors for people to adopt and adapt to the fact that we are all equal. Obama has the same shot to take us even further in America’s quest for change.

0 comments: