SISTER SOULJA!


So let me tell you guys my little story. I'm sitting at Borders book store before I went to work. I just wanted to read up on some art books, and reading about art history, so I'm sitting there in the art and architecture section for about an hour and a half. I found some valuable information from some books but surprising, from the book ART HISTORY FOR DUMMIES. HAHA! So as I'm leaving I find myself in the African American book section. I always feel like I need to support our black authors by buying their books and learning about who they are through their writings. So I'm scanning the selection, and I run into some books that I have already read, and some I wanted to read. Just as I am about to leave because I didn't have time to look around, as my shift was about to start, I saw the name Sister Soulja. I was drawn to it because for some reason I automatically thought of Sojourner Truth, and I love her. So I picked up the book, "The Coldest Winter Ever," after reading that title the chorus of "Coldest Winter" by Kanye West played in my mind. I open the book jacket and read a little bit about the book. I said it seems really interesting and I didn't want to leave empty handed. I take the book to the counter, paid my 8 bucks, and headed to work. Now whenever I get a new book, I have to immediately start reading it so I wont be tempted to just set it down and say "oh, ill read it later." I'm sitting in the back room on my lunch break and from the get go I am fully involved in this story.
The protagonist, Winter is a hood chic to the core! She is a daughter of a big time drug dealer in Brooklyn, NY. Shes selfish, blunt, raw, fast (as in what your mom used to call girls who are sexually promiscuous..."you better stop hangin' around them fast A@@ girls, they will get you in trouble! Don't come up in here with no babies!!!) She knows how to get what she wants from brothas, she has a tremendous amount of street smarts that she gets from father, whose swag is at "a hundred thousand trillion," and she get her seductive ways from her mama. The girl is only 12 when the book begins! This book is fantastic. I found myself blushing, laughing, gasping and having my own attitude when I was reading. "The Coldest Winter Ever" has so many twists and turns, its like an amusement park ride, and not the kiddy ones either. As Im reading, I start telling all my friends and co workers about Sister Soulja and this book. All of my friends that i told were like, "yeah Coldest Winter Ever is the bomb, GIRLLLLL yes!" even a customer of mine who saw me at my station reading the book, was like, "oh you're reading "Coldest Winter Ever? You are going to love it, wait til the end!" Then i start thinking, "dang I'm late! Real late apparently." Everyone and their mama's had read this book but me! Well, all i have to say it WONDERFUL!! If you were late like me, please pick up the book, you wont put it down. I finished reading it in 2 and a half days, i took it everywhere! Theres a sequel! Yall best believe I'm cop'n that mug real quick yo!!!! Also, if you want to know a little more about Sister Soulja her website is, www.sistersoulja.com.

6 comments:

  1. Brothers Blog said...

    This book came out some years ago and I've heard some great reviews about it. Meaning everyone that read it says that it's good. I have never read it myself. Your review temps me to want to pick it up.  

  2. Countdown To Change... said...

    You most certainly should! Its has all the elements that one would want, especially men, even though it is told from a young females point of view! I think you will like it alot.  

  3. Humbly Beautiful said...

    It is definitely a great back and was very surprised when I read it and enjoyed it a few years back. I am reading Midnight buy her now and loving it so far. She makes you think and inspires.  

  4. Countdown To Change... said...

    Ooooo ok, i need to hurry up and grab Midnight! Thanks!  

  5. Nellz said...

    yea i read that book and she is the main reason why i worte my book called the "The Good Life"

    www.nellzstories.blogspot.com
    im on chap 6 now i post a chapt every week,,,,if u loved that book u will love mine!!

    and she got another book out called midnight i gotta get that!!

    xoxo  

  6. jtbrown said...

    I read this book some years ago...maybe 7 or 8, and I feel in love with it. I think I read it in 1 night or maybe 2. Then I caught wind that it was being made into a movie and being produced by Jada Pinkett-Smith. I was so excited. That was about 5 years ago. I don't know what's happened on the movie end, but I will be very excited when it does come to be.