Midnight by Sister Souljah



Hello All,

I just finished Midnight by Sister Soulja finally! Let me say, this book is equally as powerful as her first book "Coldest Winter Ever" but in a different way. Right on the cover it says, "Midnight, A Gangster Love Story", and that’s exactly what it was. However, it’s not your average love story. Its a love story about the way love is truly suppose to be; pure and unconditional. Although, the book is not what I thought it would be, I was pleasantly surprised. I was thinking, "Ok this book is going to give a background on who Midnight really is and then cross reference events that happened in "Coldest Winter Ever" from Midnights point of view, but no.
In "Coldest Winter Ever" Midnight was working for Winter's father. Midnight was a quiet yet powerful character. He wasn’t flashy yet still managed to be fly, he spoke only when things needed to be said, he wasn’t extra and he remained low key. In this book, Midnight is a force to be reckoned with. He takes his fathers life lessons, his up bringing in Sudan, and his Muslim faith to live his life the way Allah would want him to, in a completely different country that is full of sex, crime, poverty, greed, ghetto mentality, and watered down religion called America. The love and devotion he has for his mother, sister and his love interest are like none other. While reading this book I realize there are lessons that anyone of any faith could take notes on. I also caught myself thinking about some things, 1) that if I ever had a son, I pray that he would turn out like Midnight. 2) In the book it’s hard for Midnight to wrap his head around why Americans do some of the things we do, especially when it comes to sex, and religion. And I start thinking, the things he cant understand, are things that just come so natural to us, that we don’t even think anything is wrong. 3) We as women, especially black women need to reevaluate our sexuality and how we choose to carry our power. Our power is not between our legs, although what’s between them can be powerful, but our true power is within our minds and spirits, and should be carried out as such. The way Midnight and other characters from Sudan were describing American women, especially black women, was nothing short of a reality check.
Now let me tell you, by the end of the book I wanted to punch Sister Souljah in the face!! But it was only because it is such a great book and left me wondering where the rest of the pages were? Did some of pages go missing from my book? If so where could I find them and get them back? I’m not gonna give away too much more. Just go out buy the book and get your read on. I wanted to know when the next book would be coming out, hoping that it wouldn’t take her another eight or so years to write the next book, like it took her to write "Midnight". So I went to her website and it says that she currently writing the continuation to "Midnight" and that novel will link "Midnight" and "The Coldest Winter Ever." Date TBA! And that Sister Souljah will release Porsche Santiaga, The Novel which is about Winter Santiaga's sister. Date 2010! I’m so freaking excited!
Happy Reading Folks! Ill Holla!

3 comments:

  1. Ishea said...

    Not sure if you've seen most Sudanese women, but they really do have to rely on their wonderful minds. The "power of the p-u-s-s-y" (as Jay-Z said) isn't going to get you too far in that country. :)

    But seriously, I'm glad you were able to get something out of the book.  

  2. Countdown To Change... said...

    Cant say i have seen too many of them, but I have heard they are beautiful people, maybe not all. LOL! I know they stay covered up in public but behind closed doors they let loose, i saw a news special on them and their malls are just like ours, Vicky Secrets, Gucci, Louis V, even LaPerla. I cant wait til the next book! GO SOULJAH!!!!  

  3. All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

    maybe u will read some of my books one day

    have a great weekend

    rawdawgbuffalo